Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sticky Situation With Repetition



Sticky Situation 
These were some of the references I used to create the Sticky Situation piece.
After using these references I created sketches combining aspects from each photo, which then contributed to my final piece.
















These photos are in-progress pictures of the ice cream cone.

Artists Take Risks
Did you try something that you weren't sure about as part of this project?

When I began creating the ice cream part of the painting I wasn't sure about Ms.Rossi's suggestion of using the palette knife to create the creamy texture of real ice cream cone. I was unfamiliar with the palette knife and its capabilities to create texture in acrylic paint. I also wasn't sure about making the hand. I was uneasy about the dripping ice cream cone because I knew I would have incorporate a hand. After I painted it and added values into the hand it became the least of my worries.

Did you pick a material or technique that was new or different over something that was familiar?
A new technique that was different was the palette knife instead of using a paint brush to show texture and values.

Artists Solve Problems

How did you respond to challenges that occurred as you worked?

The challenges that I encountered included of not having enough paint for one area and having to recreate the same color again. This happened multiple times with the cone and the hand. I tried my best to recreate the color and if it wasn't the same shade I used that shade to add more values to those area.




Did your work take an unexpected turn due to a mistake or did something happen that was unplanned?

Originally I planned keep the background a light purple color, and I moved on to the items in the foreground. Once I began looking at my art work I decided that a gradient would be more appealing to have rather than a light purple. Since I had all the items in the foreground painted I had to carefully paint the background a gradient without overlapping or painting on the items in the foreground. I didn't plan on making my background a gradient but it was a unplanned part of my art work that I'm glad I got to incorporate.

Artists Create Original Art

How did you use your own unique ideas in your work?

I used my unique experience of having ice cream melt down my fingers to create this sticky situation. I hate when my fingers are sticky and I love ice cream. When ice cream melts, sticky hands are unavoidable. Ice cream melting down your fingers is a literal and figurative representation of a sticky situation. Its a sticky/bad situation to be in because everything you touch will take on the sticky residue. Its literally sticky because ice cream is a sticky substance.

Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?

My source for inspiration was a combination of experiences, photos, and my tablemates. Then I combined these ideas with my own original ideas to complete my piece. I think its important to combine inspiration and your own ideas because it produces the best results. Taking someone elses idea and transforming it to fit your ideas and style makes you a better artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment