Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Mixed Media





Questions
Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?
New techniques that I learned in the process of creating my mixed media collage was the effect that gel medium has on paper.  My favorite new technique that I will be using in the future was the clear tape effect.  I used this on several pictures in my piece and I love the effect it gives.  After I tried this effect on different types of paper I noticed it worked better on magazine paper and it looks cooler if the paper is white.
Did you gain skill with familiar materials?

I thought that I became better with placement and piecing together the pictures that I found.  I've done mixed media before on my own and I noticed that with this piece I emphasized the idea of making the pictures fit together rather than just pasting them down with hard edges.  
What is this artwork intended to say?
This artwork is intended to intrigue the viewer and to make them feel a subtle happiness.  With the theme being Amusement I wanted my viewers to see the piece as something to make them smile.  With the theme of amusement I also added a vintage feel to it so the amusement featured in the pictures were only hints of happiness rather than a loud expression of amusement and happiness.

What issues are you examining through your artwork?
No issues were examined through the piece.  There was only amusement.  The only thing examined through my artwork was happiness and how it can be subtle and gentle.

How is this artwork about who you are or what you like?
This artwork is about who I am because it features things that I find amusing.  The artwork above also features my own movie ticket stubs and plane tickets which are two things I enjoy receiving. Mixed Media I feel like is a more personal representation of artist  because of how broad the mediums can be. Artist can have as little variation as they want and this really reflects on what type of artist they are. 

Did you ask another student for feedback during your work process?
I did ask other students for feedback during the creation process. Often times it was asking about whether I should add a specific picture or where should I add this in or how does it look. The feedback really helps me out because it gives me a completely different perspective on my artwork.

Did someone help you understand important information or inspire you?
My table was a source of constant inspiration. In the creation/idea phase Kalabria was a source of helpful information and ideas. She helped me explained on my theme and I helped her as well. We both grew off of each others original ideas. Without her help I may not have been able to produce the mixed media piece that is featured above. I am grateful for her ideas and knowledge because overall it helped me be a better artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment